Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mackenzie's Favorite Shoes

Mackenzie has grown into a very girly girl. She likes to wear dresses or skirts, especially the fancy ones. She has even gotten into my lipstick a time or two. She likes to wear headbands, and to have her hair in a neat ponytail. She doesn't even like to take her ponytail out for showers or baths. And of course, she has to wear dress shoes, not sneakers. Well, she found a pair of white dress shoes with bows and pearls that tap nicely when she walked in them (better than the squeaking sandles she once had). She got it in her head that they used to be my shoes when I was a girl and was a flower girl. No idea where that thought came from. But that is often the case with Miss Mackenzie. She has worn the shoes to death; wearing them in all kinds of weather wet or dry and in muddy backyards or dry sidewalks. The paint wore off of them, the bows came off - twice, the soles wore down to the next layer, and the toes were worn clear through. We painted them twice, before I tossed them in the garbage. She helped paint them the second time and I told her to go for it and dug out the glitter glue. When the toes wore through and the paint wore off yet again, I snuck them into the garbage on garbage day. Mackenzie found a black velvet pair of dress shoes in her possession when she couldn't find the white ones and was satisfied; fortunately. She asked three days later where her white ones were, if I had thrown them out. Surprisingly, she understood and didn't get mad at me. I'll have to keep in mind that she likes shoes that tap. Mind you, when she goes to school next year she's needs indoor shoes in the form of sneakers. She'll have to keep her dress shoes for playing outside.

No comments: