Monday, March 3, 2008

Prescription Medication for Dummies

For three nights in a row, my youngest daughter, Mackenzie, has been running a fever hovering around 40 degrees Celcius. It's odd, but she hasn't had a fever in the day time other than Sunday afternoon. So, my husband was going to take her to the walkin clinic on Sunday afternoon while I was at work but Mackenzie slept all afternoon and when I got home it was too late to go. This morning I thought I'd have an excuse to get out of going to the gym but her temperature was normal, 37.2. So off we went. She did her usual things of watching tv, sitting in my lap, joining me in the shower, and then getting speedily ready to go pick Taylor up at school. Mackenzie, like usual, fell asleep on the way to school and keep on sleeping even when I moved her into bed once we got back home at 3pm. At 4pm it was time to get her ready for swimming so Daddy went in to get her. She was a bit whinney but who isn't when they are woken up (even though daddy said he didn't wake her). We packed up and took off, late for lessons. While dressing Mackenzie in her swimsuit I realized she was hot to the touch, again. She tried lessons anyway but unlike herself she got upset about being splashed and wouldn't blow bubbles. Ten minutes later, I scooped her up in a towel, then rinsed her off and dressed her for home. At 6pm we found ourselves on the way to the walkin clinic. Mackenzie slept the entire way there and on my shoulder in the waiting room. In the exam room she woke up wanted a drink of water and saying she was too hot; so she dramk from the tap and stripped out of her coat and shirt. Once examined, ears, chest, and throat I learned that her cough wasn't the problem, her lungs were fine but she has strep throat. Oh dear. I just wanted to be put out of my misery when I had that. But she wasn't complaining about her throat. Hmmm. Oh, uh. What about the kids at daycare? Guess it'll be a sick day for work. We got her prescription filled and put it in the cart under the infant seat for she was back to sleep again. I then picked up oralgel for Taylor who is getting her new teeth coming in front of her baby teeth and she finds it rather painful. I had to pay for my second purchase at another cashier. When leaving, I scooped Mackenzie and my second package up, forgetting the first with the prescription medication in it and our reason for being here. It was under the infant seat and I couldn't see it. Halfway to the car, I remembered it. I hoped no one had noticed my oversight. I went back in the indoor, carrying my sleeping three year old, my purse, and my second package. On my way I had to pass the magazine and book section. On the end of the display, in a bright yellow with black was one of the For Dummies series, "Prescription Medication for Dummies." I thought this quite funny. - I better go for Mackenzie crawled out of bed and came looking for me and is now passed out at the top of the stairs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you take her to swim lessons when she had a fever? Should've been 24 hours fever-free?

jeckel said...

The fever wasn't high and temperatures can fluxuate with factors other than illness such as being tired or having been wrapped up in blankets swimming. She had been fine for the day. It was a confusing fever as it only appeared in the evening and there was no apparent cause for it. Also, swimming often helps stuffed up noses or one to cool off. I also had her older sister along as well. I usually follow the clear of a fever for 24 hours guideline for daycare, school, and sitters. This was just a confusing situation; no black and white answer for me in this case.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is fastidious, my younger
sister is analyzing such things, therefore I am going to inform her.


Have a look at my web page koch dich schlank
My site > paleo snacks deutsch

jeckel said...

sometimes I get carried away :) I just wanted to show how chaotic picking up the prescription was.

Anonymous said...

I like the helрful information yοu provide in yοur articles.
ӏ will booκmark your blog and check again here frеquently.
І am quіte сertain I will learn many new stuff right
herе! Gοod luck for the nеxt!

Here is my wеbpagе hcg diet