Saturday, April 11, 2009

Little Expert

Last weekend, Mackenzie had her three years old, almost four, cousin over for a sleep over. Being the youngest in our family she will still make baby whimpers for attention and asks people to turn the bathroom light on for her. Well, her more matronly instincts come out around Malachi. Her other cousin, Jake, same age, brings out other instincts which I shall not mention. Mackenzie began taking care of her guest by buckling Malachi into her car seat for the drive to our house. She unbuckled him when we arrived home and then took him by the hand to lead him in. Once inside, she helped him take off his coat and put it where the kids' coats go and she took off his shoes and put them on the shoe mat. Now why doesn't she do that for her own clothing? Yeah, I know, because she can get away with it. She also explained that "Malachi is our guest so he gets to pick what we do." However, I'm not certain that is what was carried out. When he needed the washroom later, she was quick to run to him and ask if he needed the light turned on, pulled over a stool, and turned on the light. I've been had! The next day when it was time to get in the car again, she buckled him up, again. On the car ride, she began to not only care for her cousin but to watch my driving. Little show off. "Mommy, this way," she indicated with her hands, "now this way. That's it! Now go straight. Keep going. Keep going. Be careful. Now stop. (This when the stop sign appeared.) Mommy? Remember when I teached you to drive?" "No. When was that?" I figured this answer was going to be good. "Oh, a long time ago. I teached you so you'll be careful and not crash into another car." Right.... I guess I don't have to worry about her self-esteem. Now how do I teach her that I, as parent, don't always have to say please when asking her to do something, especially when she is misbehaving. Maybe I should ask Mackenzie since she seems to have all the answers. :)

No comments: