Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rejection

Things are happening to girls too commonly at an earlier and earlier age. To my six year old Taylor, sleepovers are an event of fun and acceptance. I didn't have my first friend sleep over until I was turning ten. This past weekend I told her she could have someone over Saturday night. Taylor phoned Sarah Friday afternoon and learned that she was going to Grace's birthday party and couldn't come over. Saturday morning before I left for work, Taylor began phoning again. At lunch time she phoned me at work to say Rebbecca was going to Grace's sleepover party and couldn't come. Could she phone Julianna? In my mind I thought, "ouch, rejection, being left out." When I arrived home, she told me that Julianna was going to Grace's sleepover party. Oh dear. She then phoned Parker and no, Parker wasn't allowed to sleep over. Not surprising as she's never been over nor Taylor to Parker's house. This was beginning to remind me of when my then eleven year old step daughter was living with us, phoning friend after friend trying to reach someone available to be with. Taylor then phoned her cousin with whom schedules often don't allow us to spend time together. I had thought their church was no longer being held Saturday night due to relocation and he'd finally be available. Turned out, not yet. Taylor was put out but not as badly as I anticipated. I suppose taking the girls swimming after supper helped. I wonder if Taylor took it personally or understands that it is difficult to find time available when your friend/s are also available. I'll have to ask her later.

No comments: