Saturday, December 27, 2008

I Don't Want It!

This is the first year that Christmas actually meant something to my three year old; Santa who gives presents and presents. Unfortunately this present fixation is fed by the fact that her birthday is the week after Christmas. Yahoo. Also, being young, she wants some unusual gifts, like a rainbow mommy goose. Mrs. Claus had to do some sewing for that; $2.00 and 6 hours later she had one and a favorite, so far, of Mackenzie's. She also asked for purple bubblegum which I have yet to find. And a crawling My Lil'Pony that she put in her toy box Christmas night, not in her bed with the Webkinz. And I swear she asked for a Baby Alive. I rushed out to get one in October when they were on sale from $59 to $48 and tucked it away. In late November I discovered that they were now selling for $30. What?! and Ouch! Of course there's a no returns after 20 days policy. I could likely get around that after Christmas. Anyhow, Christmas morning arrives. Taylor wakes at 7:11am and crawls in with Daddy and I. She ignored the presents under her tree in her room and she patiently waits for Mackenzie to get up at 7:40am. Mackenzie then goes through her gifts like the Tasmanian Devil; dumping out her stocking in the middle of Taylor's bedroom floor while Taylor goes through her bedroom gifts, then ripping open anything with an "M" on it under the tree. From time to time she'd stop and spin around asking, "where's another present for me? There's no more presents for me?" Well, she excitedly gave her goose a hug and a kiss saying, "Me love it! It's so soft!" And she excitedly said that the crawling pony was, "just what me wanted" before tossing it aside and moving on. Well, she tore open her Baby Alive doll, just had the front paper torn off, took a peek at what it was and tossed it down in disgust as only Mackenzie can express it, "I don't want that! I don't like babies!" Well the poor doll sat to the side of the living room, in the box until boxing day. I had been thinking I might get my $15 back after all and take the doll to the store, it was a Christmas present and yes I have the receipt. As I folded the clothes in the bedroom wondering when returns were permitted, Taylor came in and asked if she could have the doll. I suggested we could take it to the store and get the crawling pony she wanted and didn't receive and still have money left over. Taylor paused considering her options, "no, I want the doll. I'll take good care of it." Well I thought this could be dangerously interesting. So we unpacked the doll undoing all the twist ties and tape and so on. Taylor then set about feeding the doll that came with only two diapers and two packages of food. Mackenzie surprisingly only wanted to have a turn feeding the doll and then moved on. Taylor on the other hand has been quite attentive to her doll and will talk to it as it talks to her and rushes around trying to attend it's every request. I had to tell her that she could put it down and it would go to sleep and give her a break. Taylor will have to give her a name after all, all her new Webkinz received names. Daddy asked what we should get to replace Mackenzie's present. I told him not to worry about it. She should learn to take what she gets and has too much anyway, plus there's more gifts in her future with a birthday around the corner.

No comments: